Thursday, June 4, 2009

No More Toasted Almond

I am a true believer in that my weak eyesight is compensated by my strong sense of hearing. My hearing is so good that I can practically hear what you are thinking.

As the year goes by and spring and summer time come around it is nice to hear the sounds of nature such as trees blowing in the cool breeze, birds chirping and the local train pulling into the station which is well over a mile away from me. But as great as my hearing is and as much as I try I can’t seem to hear the sound that was once so familiar to me, the sound of the ice cream truck rolling through the local streets like I did growing up. When I was a kid the ice cream man was around almost every night. The only time we ran home as kids, besides when we were called for dinner, was to get money for the ice cream man. It seemed like he was everywhere and as I reminisce about it I realized he was everywhere because we played all over the neighborhood. It was almost like we traveled with him.

I am learning a lot as a parent and realize things never remain the same but being a kid should not change. Whatever happened to going outside to play after breakfast and only coming home to eat lunch, dinner and then finally come home to wash for bed. Whether it is video games, organized sporting activities, etc., it's a shame you don’t see kids growing up playing in the streets as previous generations.

No comments:

Post a Comment