Sunday, May 31, 2009

A Proud Moment


She prepared all year for this night, her second piano recital. She was excited all week as well as the rest of us. She was calm, smiling and laughing in her seat waiting for her turn to perform. Then the caterpillars changed into butterflies which turned into, “Humina, humina, humina”. I wasn't sitting near her as I was in a section close enough to video her performance. For some reason I turned around to look at her and saw her wiping her eyes. I realized at that point it hit her, the “Oh no, I’m going on next, it’s my turn”, feeling. I quickly walked over to her while signaling to her piano instructor to skip her turn as he was getting ready to call her name. We took a walk into the back for some fresh air. Having that nervous feeling you get when performing in front of people got the best of her. She quickly composed herself, walked back in and gave a performance that I could not be more proud of.

This proves how resilient kids are. How fast they recover and adjust. It is important for children to have a good solid foundation around them. Having a good support system is important for everyone. I explained to her that everyone gets nervous and that nervous feeling is what makes you give it your best. She will build on this day and it will prepare her for the future. One day she will use this experience as motivation for someone who is in the same or similar situation. I always believed that life’s lessons and experiences prepare you for the next one. As you prepare for the next challenge you say to yourself, “I can do this, no problem!”

Special thanks to Chris Deibert (“The Maestro”), my daughter’s piano teacher, who with his exceptional skill, dedication and patience has really made a difference in her life as well as ours. Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment