Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Who Needs Money Anyway?

I was always considered an old sole. My thought process was always from an older angle. I was taught to save half of whatever money I earned. Thinking, if saving half was good than I would always try to save more than half. But here's the thing, you have to work to earn money and earn money to save money. My parents helped me as much as they could but I would never take advantage of their generosity.

Most of my working life I was surrounded by an older generation. The older generation of people would follow the same theory I did then and I still follow now, “Work first, play later!” Whatever job I had and even ‘til this day I focused on completing the task before I just sat around. Now, I am not saying this is the correct way of doing things just stating this is my work ethic. As evolution continues I do not think many people have heard of this theory. It seems that the some workers follow the "Coast now" mentality. I am not knocking these work habits, I am just stating that I do not live by the “I get paid by the hour no matter how hard I work” theory nor do I take the path of least resistance. I focus on the job I have to perform at work and do not pay attention to the way others perform their duties. I prefer not to work next to someone who gets paid more than me and does less than me and I certainly do not like picking up their slack but sometimes you only have so much control.

Today I notice that the younger generation of employees, no matter what field, act as if they do not need money. They act as if they work just to keep themselves out of trouble. When asked to work overtime they respond, “Oh sorry I have plans.” When I was younger I took every overtime shift offered to me because I knew one day I would not be able to put in the long hours. I certainly did not want to regret capitalizing on extra income when I had the opportunity. Plus I had to pay my own way through most of my early adult life. Maybe I am just venting about today’s society and how people coast with their hand out doing as little as possible. I ask "Who is the fool?"Not me because at the end of the day I sleep at night knowing that I do not owe anybody anything.

1 comment:

  1. nicely said. If you were/are so good at saving money, why do you only have $2 in your lock box?

    ReplyDelete